- Health Sciences
- Sales and Service
An instructional program that prepares individuals to apply skills related to experiences in a variety of treatments including hair care, Chemical texture, coloring, cutting, styling, manicuring, pedicuring, artificial nail treatments and facials. Instruction includes work on mannequins, other students and the general public. Salon management, anatomy, sanitation, chemistry, electricity and related state laws are also a focus of the program. After receiving 1250 hours of instruction, students are eligible to test to become a licensed cosmetologist or nail technician in Pennsylvania.
PA State Board of Cosmetology License
- Nail Technician
- Adult Teacher Training
McCann School of Business and Technology - up to 32 credits
Program Requirements and Expectations:
- Black and red scrubs; only purchased through the school.
- Matching tops and pants must be worn.
- Pant legs should not drag on the floor.
- Clothing that is torn must be repaired.
- Altering of uniforms for reasons other than size is unacceptable. Examples include cutting pant and shirt bottoms to flair.
- Students are expected to wear socks.
- Student must have solid leather shoes or sneakers. NO open toe shoes are permitted. Writing or decorating of the shoes is not allowed.
- Solid white t-shirts or turtlenecks may be worn underneath scrub top. No writing, colors or designs of any kind are permitted on the under shirts.
- All street clothes, coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc., must be removed upon entering the classroom.
- Hair must be clean and styled at all times.
- Nails shall be clean and manicured at all times. NO nail biting is permitted. Artificial nails (or hair) will not be an excuse from serving as a client for another student or they will be prohibited.
- These procedures will be practiced on all students. These are a required portion of the program. All of these services are practice and are non-permanent: Shampooing, Blow drying/curling, Hair styling (rollers, pincurls, backcombing, fingerwaving), Scalp & conditioning treatments, Facials, Facial masks & packs, Make up application, Hand & arm massage…foot &leg massage, Manicuring & pedicuring, Temporary hair color (washes out in 1 shampoo).
- These procedures are considered permanent and would require prior permission: Eyebrow arching (tweezing & waxing), Artificial nails, Haircutting, Permanent waving, Chemical relaxers, Semi-permanent hair color (washes out in 4-6 weeks), Permanent hair color, Hair lightening & toning.
- Any procedure done to a student WILL be done by a fellow student…NOT BY THEMSELVES. Any student caught doing procedures to themselves will lose credit hours, daily grade points, privileges and will be required to do written work.
- Students must come prepared with their books, notebooks, writing utensils, uniforms and kit everyday. When a student forgets books, uniform or kit they will be given additional written assignments and NO credit hours will be earned for that time.
- Hair and makeup must be done before you arrive at school.
- Notebooks must be maintained in a neat and orderly fashion. They are to be stored in assigned locker and/or taken home nightly.
- Tests may be given at any time to any level.
- Each student must be available at all times to be a client for fellow students. This includes facials, scalp treatments, manicures, pedicures, shampoo, set and blow dry, etc. This is a mandatory portion of being enrolled in the Cosmetology Department. An example of an unacceptable excuse is artificial nails.
- Refrain from talking when the instructor or other students are talking. Think before you talk. NO gossiping allowed.
- NO gum is allowed. NO food or drink is permitted. NO horseplay will be permitted.
- Students are not allowed in the halls without the instructor’s permission…one student at a time…always with their agenda signed by an instructor.
- Students are not allowed on the phone without permission of the instructor. Personal phone calls to and from the classroom are not permitted.
- Students may have services done to them, but ONLY with the instructor’s permission.
- Students are NOT permitted by the State Board of Cosmetology law to have combs, clips or any other items in their uniform pockets.
- When items are left lying around the room, they become the possession of the instructors.
- If a student is responsible for damaging and/or defacing equipment, disciplinary action will be taken and payment for the items will be required.
- Student kits will be checked frequently and unannounced. If extra items or hair are found in the kit, it will be emptied and the student will have to clean and reassemble it.
- Students will come to school and leave dressed in uniform. There is not time to dress into uniform or into street clothes during the school day. If student comes to school in street clothes or tries to change before dismissal, NO credit hours will be given and career skill points will be deducted.
- Swearing and inappropriate conversations are not permitted.
- All homework/assignments are to be turned in upon arrival to school. Any worked turned in later will be deducted 10 points per day starting at 10 minutes after arrival on due date.
- All assignments must be completed in pencil or blue/black ink. Any work handed in with other colors will be deducted 10 points.
- Any work handed in without a name will be deducted 10 points.
- Additional rules will be added as deemed necessary by the Cosmetology Department.